View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
To substantiate my argument above I have done a basic experiment tonight. Since I do not have an additional Accuphase pre-amp or cd player, I have compared the dynamic capability of my Accuphase DP-720 player to that of my Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Ray player.

Here are the details of the test I have performed:

Main system (unchanged during the test): C-3800 -> Accuphase A-65 -> Avantgarde Uno speaker (everything was connected to the PS-1220 power supply)

Compared units: DP-720 vs. BDP-s790 Sony (the 2 players were connected to the C-3800 pre alternatively via the same Accuphase ASL-10 interlink cable)

CDs:
1) Audio Physic music CD: Track 16, Die Schlacht bei Vittoria, op. 91 1813 / L. van Beethoven. (The relevant passages for this test can be found between minutes 4:00 and 4:40.)

2) Nordost system set-up & tuning disc: Track 1, Channel check (I used this as a basic check to verify that the two players play at the same volume, i.e. 63 dBs. )

Additional note:
- No unit has been turn off during the test (e.g. when connecting/disconnecting the tested players).
- The interlink cable was connected to the CD input of the C-3800 all the time. The players were connected alternatively at the other end of the interlink (duh...).
- Volume setting of C-3800: -45 dB
- Gain setting C-3800: 18 dB
- Gain setting A-65: -12 dB
- A-65 meters were set on infinite
- The DP-720 and BDP-s790 players were also connected to the PS-1220 unit.
Dear Paul, thanks a lot for the detailed describtion of your test. In my humble opinion, you missed the most important point in a blind test. You have to listen to the different equipment with exactly the same SPL. This is the most important topic!!! For that reason I called the blind test between DC 300, C2420 and C290 a "light" blind test, because I couldnīt get the three preamps on the same SPL (C 290 had 0,2 dB more SPL).

Which methods do you have to achieve the same SPL?! We have two methods, the best is I measure the output line voltage (I have a HP measurement equipment). This is the most exact way to do it. Or seconed method, which I use for a "light" blind test, I take a test CD with a 1khz sinus tone and measure with a microphone the SPL from the different equipments, that at the end you have the same SPL Level (normally we allow 0,1 dB difference).

What you heard in your test is only the differnt output voltage from the Accuphase DP 720 against the Sony BluRay Player because according to your Quote you let the preamp with -45 dB Output Level.
But CD Players have different output Level.
I give you some examples:
I had the Accuphaese DP 700, there I measured an output voltage of 2,5 Volt (Hifi & Records measured 2,45 Volt).
The guy from the Berliner Philarmonie has the Accuphaese DP 720, there we measured an output voltage of 2,7 Volt (Hifi & Records measured 2,63 Volt). So this is a very "loud" CD Player!
I have the Accuphaese DP 510, there I measured an output voltage of 2,5 Volt (no Hifi & Records measurements).
I have also the Spectral SDR 4000, there I measured an output voltage of 1,3 Volt (Hifi & Records measured 1,22Volt). This is a CD Player which is not very loud.

If you want to do a comparison between these CD Players you have to level them with your preamp to get the same SPL for a fair comparison.

I think, I upset you with my words "I am laughing...if I read about big differences". I want to apoligize for this.
My english is a little bit bad, for that reason this werenīt the right words.
What I wanted to say is: I am a little bit surprised if people talk about BIG differences from amps and CD player.
In my humble opinion:
you can hear sound differences from speakers and rooms
you can hear "sublte" sound differences from amps
you can hear "almost" no differnces at all from CD Players.

And donīt missunderstand me; I love this hobby. According to one of my dealers I am one of the biggest collectors in Germany with ca. 400 High End Units which I own.

Best regards

Martin

Last edited by Barsur; 11-20-2015 at 03:44 AM.