View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
In the past when I have mixed tubes with SS, it was always a tube preamp with SS amps. On a whim, I bought a Music Reference RM200 mkII to try in place of my Pass Labs X260.8. I'm using a Pass XP22 preamp + XP 27 phono front end, both SS. The RM200 puts out 125wpc into 2 Ohms and drives my Stradivari's easily.

The result was surprising. On the downside, the tube amp lacks the bass slam and initial attack of the SS amps. But it is as good, if not better in every other respect. The tube amp is more 3D, has greater sustain, beautiful tone, greater midrange detail, and a more layered soundstage. As a result, I find it to be more emotionally engaging.

Anyone else using a SS preamp/phono with a tube amp? I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.
I use a JRDG Consonance preamp with a tube Cary CAD-280 V12 power amp.
I used to have an tube ARC SP-9 pre with a Mark Levinson no. 23 SS power amp.

With the JRDG and Cary, everything is better: tone, detail, three-dimensionality, midrange, highs, soundstage, smoothness.

One important thing I learned was that more detail doesn't have to come with a cooler, brighter, more analytical sound. With the JRDG+Cary One can have more detail, resolution, and depth with a warmer, smoother, and more liquid, musical sound.