View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
Hi Apexorca,
After seeming you have matched Krell Krc-hr with monos and replaced Krell 202 and Gryphon combo. I have bought a Krell Krc-Hr and tried to mate with Boulder 1060. As Krell is pretty old equipment I want to modernize it. Can you help me with information which parts did you change and with which brand? Elna , Panasonic fm, Nichicon ? if you have a list to send me I really appreciate. Furthermore, did you change the cable between two components? If yes what do you recommend ?
Thank you in advance for your advice,
Sincerely
Mehmet
Hello Mehmet!

I'v not upgraded Krell KRC-HR and 350MC my selfe.

Krell has been very common in Sweden and there is one guy that for decades, almost from the start, has been Krell service technician on these products. He knows them really well. He is partly recently retired, but the dealer that I bought them from sent the units to him for service. He replaced hundreds of old components and upgraded some parts in them. He said that he made them sound better than original once. Thats not possible to check, but I'v had one guy who back in the days were importer of Krell here to listen to them and he was really impressed. He have had the models him selfe at home and know Krell very well. So they are for sure at least as god as they ever have been. So it's possible to upgrade how they sound.

I'v listened to them before and after this thorough service (almost rebuilt) and they got much better resolution, faster transients, great power when needed, silky smooth treble and more open presentation. The biggest part in this is probably that the components for example capacitors are new, and he made some other things that he said upgrades the sound.
Though I don't know the brand of the components, I know it is very important that they are specified for the job. I have a friend that tried to do a similar action to an old High- End unit of his. He thought that "better" modern capacitors and components that have better specifications than in the old days should be better, but it did not sound good at all. He had to replace them with components that were more alike the once that were used in the development of the product from the start.
So of you change something you really have to know how it will affect the sound in the end and where "better components" really makes it sound better.
The technician that serviced my units know this du to decades of experience and deep knowledge of Krell.

This was a long answer that did not really gave you what you asked for. Sorry.
But it maybe helped you how you could think about it.

Though, I will try to help you and get some detailed information of what brand of components were used and how this service was made.