View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 02:39 AM

The Audiophiliac's speaker of the year: The KEF LS50

The British have a knack for making exceptional-sounding small monitor speakers; the KEF LS50 is the latest example of the breed.

Absolute Sound:
Throw anything at it, the LS50 takes on all comers....

...The KEF LS50 is one of the most all-around-satisfying little speakers I’ve reviewed in some time. Construction and execution are exemplary. It delivers the kind of performance that deserves to be on a Wheaties box. And there’s an incalculable coolness factor that makes it a breath of fresh air. The LS50 also answers the classic question, “Who says you can’t teach an old box new tricks?”

SoundStage!Hi-Fi:
Conclusions

When I reviewed KEF’s R500, I said that it “sets a new standard for what can be expected at this price.” Insofar as small floorstanders go, that’s still true. Now, I can say pretty much the same about what the LS50 does in the world of minimonitors -- and a little more. The fact that KEF has positioned this model as a one-off design in the same category of “Flagship Hi-Fi Speakers” as its very expensive Blade and ultra-expensive Muon models serves only to heighten its appeal -- combined with its fine build quality and distinctive styling, the LS50 comes off as more a luxury item than a mass-market two-way, even if it is made in the Far East. You can’t say that about many speakers, even the R500. The LS50’s sound, irrespective of price, was outstanding in my room: a wide-open soundfield; razor-sharp imaging; voluminous bass; soaring, clean highs; and a midband as natural as it was clear. Holy moly, this speaker sounded good -- and at a ridiculously low price.

The LS50 is nothing short of a masterpiece of a minimonitor, priced so that anyone serious about audio can buy a pair -- and probably should, if only to know how great a small speaker can be. Time hasn’t been as much on my side as it’s been on KEF’s -- the LS50 is one of their best speakers yet, and one of their best values; it’s proof that, as it ages, this company seems to get better and better.

Just some examples.....

Last edited by Randy Myers; 11-03-2015 at 02:47 AM.