View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Having heard Parasound Halo A21, Electrocompaniet AW250R and Pass X150.5, I can tell you that was the only possible outcome ! 911 is like from other universe next to them.

But then, you could probably tell that just by looking at the price list: the other amps were in $5-$7k range, and the 911 is ... $30k !

If anything, you should have tried to compare the 911 to Pass XA-200.5 or EC Nemo. Not saying that you would have chosen them over 911, just that the comparo would be at least more fair to those brands.
You are right, of course. Except the price differences in Europe are not so extreme. Basically, the 911 was only double my budget, LOL!

The EC AW180M sounds very similar to the Nemo, as the circuits are almost identical - a Nemo is basically 2 AW180 in one box. I found the tonal response uneven, and the highs grainy compared to Burmester. I wanted to get the Burmester 956. I laughed when I saw the 956 and the 911 next to each other. They look almost identical, except the 911 has a bit of extra chrome bling, for double the price and almost no difference in power specs. I stopped laughing when I heard them. The bass was very similar, and very good, but the 956 is voiced with more upper bass, and much less treble. It sounded very dark next to the 911, and did not suit the Futura. The 956 actually worked very well with the SF Cremona M.

Power draw is a big factor for me, and I have a limit which the Pass XA series, except for the little ones, would go way beyond. I have liked Pass' smaller amps, particularly his single ended pure class A designs (I have a few of these). Gryphon was out for the same reason. I considered Sovereign, Moon and Hegel, but auditioning was going to be difficult or impossible - and I was concerned these last 3 would be too cool for my tastes. Vitus Audio is the only one I am still interested in hearing.