View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billion$Baby View Post
"You may want to give the 20 version a listen at home if possible David.
The reason I'm saying that is because I also have the original KX-R pre. When the 20 version first came out a friend purchased one, after a long run-in period I borrowed it from him and demoed both back to back at home for about 2 weeks. After much listening I preferred the original, but just barely. As wonderful as the new 20 was it was just a tad to sterile sounding. Don't get me wrong the two were very, very close sounding but the original KX-R added just the right amount of warmth, for my ears. Both ( audio type ) friends that were in attendance agreed, including the owner of the KX-R 20.
The Twenty in this scenario likely had not run in enough.

One of the areas in which the Twenty is head and shoulders above the original is in terms of warmth and soundstage, with the original KX-R sounding slightly cold and bright, something I never even noticed until I compared it directly with the Twenty.

Depending upon the age of the Levinsons in question, I could see where an older Levinson might make a good match with an original KX-R as the former's darker presentation might go well with the original KX-R's slight edge.