View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Luxman uses the same standard for XLR pin polarity as Accuphase and some others, which is the reverse polarity of most American manufacturers. So if you make a connection to another device with the opposite polarity it will result in inverted absolute phase. To determine the overall impact on a given system you'd have to determine the total number of such inverting connections in the signal path, and if it's an even number they will effectively cancel and result in correct absolute phase. If however there is only one such connection between devices or if the total number of such connections is an odd number then the result will be that the system's output will be of inverted absolute phase.

To facilitate connecting components of varying XLR polarity, Luxman provides polarity inversion switches on both their C-900u preamp and M-900u power amp (and I'd assume many other of their components, but since I own those I can confirm that they do.) There is a setting on the preamp which inverts all XLR connections (inputs and outputs) from their default to the more common polarity standard, and a switch on the power amp which allows you to select either normal or inverted polarity for its balanced XLR input.

Luckily, D08u comes with phase reversal switch too. This complexity turned me away from buying Burmester 808-5 and
069 CDP a few years back as my surround sound processor
Has hot2 pin assignment which is opposite to 069 . Never known before that Luxman also use 3hot pin as well.