Thread: Olympica Nova
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Retired

Tom - thank you for your thoughts.

Craig - Old for me is warm & slow. A rather warm & languid presentation, if you will. Horn & planar speakers were the early providers of a 'faster' sound (with noted deficincies - lack of bass, shrill treble, etc., in many cases). The refinements of box speakers starting in the '90s (computer design & analysis was likely a very big help) and they have pretty much caught up to horn & planar speakers, which have also benefited from computers. To my ears, Sonus Faber was one of the laggards in this regard and did not really turn the corner on same until some years into this century. I can't really say when or what model, as I no longer bothered to listen to them until the last year, or so. However, Sonus Faber had an established 'house sound', as did McIntosh, and were likely much influenced in not wanting to make a big 'step-change' that would result in unhappy long-term customers. As we all have our own ears, YMMV.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag