View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 AM
Green Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFz View Post
For now the Leben CS600, but my hope is acquire a Cortese.

The next thing that popped into my mind was how Art mentioned that older speakers had more 'flesh and bone' than newer. I don't know if the sonic undertone to that statement is simply 'more bass', but I do think that the Altecs do bass more believably and with more kick/snap than my DeVores. The DeVore's base by comparison is more detailed. I can see how one could have a preference for either.

Anyways, I know OP already bought Flamencos but for anyone else reading the thread I thought I would post something Art wrote about in discussing his Altecs and O96
I am also an owner of both the Valencia (846B) and the Devore O/96 and overall agree as well with Art's description.

Interestingly for the flesh and bone comment above, I would describe the O/96 as denser and richer in the low end than the Altec. The Altecs had a beautifully textured bass, very delicate and light and with the presence, directness, and impact Art described. On the other hand the O96 was richer and much more extended to low frequencies, but also I felt it is not as detailed as the Valencia. interestingly that later description differs from some comments on Valencias - possible the 846B has the cleaner more detailed bass than the 846A?

The top end and upper mid range is where I had the most difficulty with the 846B and in particular the original crossovers. While very quick, the 4 Khz peak added a hollowness and ambience that was less than natural and moved the tope end often to the shriekyness Art described.

The Jagusch crossover (custom for the 846B) fixed this, providing a much more extended and clean top end, although also not quite a lively and forward as the original crossover.

In the end the natural and more realistic tone of the O96 won me over though, especially after I moved away from the Shindo...