View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
That is very strange. I had components that were bright with ribbon speakers... Transparent cables and Straight Wire interconnects were passing too much treble and distortion through and sounded like you describe. I bought Cardas Gold Cross to warm them up, it did. Then I switched to a good contemporary preamp and amp. After listening for literally one minute (the treble had practically disappeared, the tonal balance way off) I went running to the cabinet and pulled out my Transparent cables and instantly the balance was perfect. They don’t add treble they communicate what they are getting and are good at shielding out extraneous noise.

Big speakers are made to fill big rooms, so your triangle will be really small for the power of the speakers. The transparent are exactly that, maybe extra clarity was too much... they convey what goes in. Maybe this has something to do with it. I have a friend with too big speakers... but they just sound terrible in every way (like $30k that sounds terrible). The best systems I have heard matched the speaker size with the room they are in. This could be it. I can think of a number of instances of oversized speakers having problems... not always the same exact problem... but with the high end of the frequency range.

What about bad power? Really noisy power?

Unshielded interconnects? Cables parallel so magnetic fields induce noise?

Any friends with systems so you could swap out components?

In regards to electricity, i do have them on their own dedicated line.

I think my systems noise is so low that i no longer have to listen
To loud volume...almost. Even then my systems brightness is
Always unavoidable.

I think the problem right now is the speakers being to big for my
Listening room, mids and highs seem to dominate the room. I
Always thought low end might be my biggest concern.