View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilscucumber View Post
Hi bigfish, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a Plinius 9100 driving my old Martin Logan Sequel II's, and every now and again I feel I'm missing a bit of grunt (the subs on these are unpowered), I have an opportunity to get a Plinius S-100 MkII, what are impressions of both amps in comparison? (I used to run an 300W per side class B Perreaux 6000B and that never felt compromised in power, just not nearly as detailed as the Plinius 9100).
Whoa, nostalgia- I used to run a Perreaux 6000B driving Magnaplan 2.5R's back in the early 90's (Used Perreaux SM3 pre-amp as well). Whilst plenty of power, the amp produced a 'dry cool' sound, little 'bloom' but big bass- even on the Maggies. I had mine upgraded by a mate who was a Perreaux engineer. He changed the fan from being on all the time to a manual switch, and increased the bias so it ran more into Class A (from 5 watts to about 12 watts)- big improvement & the Amp never got more than warm & I never turned the fan on. The 6000B was built like a Tank, Perreaux never had to repair a single unit (as at 1994) although quite a few were upgraded as per mine and my mate said it would survive being dropped from a 5 story building! Sold the 6000B in 1995 & moved to tube amps.

I like the Plinius SA100 MKII & the SA250MKII, the MKIV versions not so much with their voicing being changed-The MKIV Versions are just too forward for my taste - unlike the MKII's which are laid back, have a nice bloom in the mids & a wide soundstage. Im sure you will enjoy the SA100 MKII in your system. MrAcoustat friends system probably is a good match for the MKIV- with panels THAT big, the soundstage must be massive!
In addition, very few listening rooms in New Zealand are that big either- MrAcoustats mates room looks bigger than my house!

Last edited by NZ421291; 04-22-2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Poor grammar & spelling- my English Treacher will be turning in his grave