View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
I had a long audition at the dealer with them powered by four Audionet Heisenberg monoblocks. Truly amazing soundstage, dynamics, finesse, layering and detail. World class statement speakers for sure. The only thing that was surprising was that even with the two bass towers, the bass was very articulate but not visceral. If I was buying, I would definitely invest in the YG subwoofers.

Ken
Not to have visceral bass in a system like this?? One of the things you pay for in a Statement System is dynamic range in the bass. I could care less about a tweeter that goes to 50,000 Hz. How would it fare on the foot falls of T-Rex in the Telarc Great Fantasy Adventure Album? One of the real problems with acoustic suspension systems including powered subwoofers is their inability to truly produce as billed really low frequency material. These foot falls go down to 5 Hz. I have many CD's and albums that require marked dynamic range and output in the low bass below 20 Hz. The Alexx is great to about 25 Hz in my room. I don't have it setup for maximum low frequency response. It is impossible to play low frequency material through the Alexx that will distort its woofers which is exactly what I want. I have never experienced a CD or album that my Thor would not play at excellent level but it does require power and lots of it. The addition of subwoofers to the XV seems not an option, far too complex and unpredictable. I think that this is probably why Yg has not really ever been considered in the same company as Wilson, Magico, SF, Vandersteen, Rockport, I'm sure I'm leaving out some. It's the reason Magico IMO, added the Q-15 and Q-18 subs. However any acoustic suspension system including Magico is vulnerable to extremely low frequencies because of the gentle 12 dB per octave roll off below the resonance frequency of the cabinet. Ported systems have a 24 dB per octave roll off which means that below the resonance frequency the woofers are very immune to bottoming out as all sealed systems are prone to do.

Last edited by Charles; 06-21-2019 at 01:25 PM.