View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGale View Post
?

The other thing I was surprised at is your statement that the "Cymbals and massed sopranos did occasionally sound too prominent". That seems at odds with JA measurements of the 802D3 which he felt the highs were balanced too high versus the Sopra 3 which had a naturally downward slopping high end which most people feel is the most natural. On the other hand, the 802D3 over 10,000 HZ is up almost 5db. Based on this you, would think the 802D3 could be more "brilliant" than the Focal 3, like JA described on the 805D3 he reviewed which had a similar lift in that area.

Looking forward to your comments.
If you examine the off axis performance you'll see a decent flare in the low treble, as noted by JA, so the perceived balance will to some extent be governed by the amount of toe-in, along with the liveliness of the listening room.

That said, the measurements overall look excellent, but I am curious to know why the designers decided to invert the mid and tweeter drivers instead of the woofer - for crossover phase coherence.

Not that I'm a big believer in absolute phase mind you.

Edit: OK, it occurred to me a few minutes after posting that the woofers should be in positive phase to avoid problems with sub-woofer augmentation.

Last edited by Art Vandelay; 03-11-2017 at 09:55 AM.