Thread: Lcd-2
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
Hey all. I have an Audeze LCD2 on order and I'm looking for the best DAC/headamp combo to pair with it for under $1,500. I am considering Schiit (Bifrost&Asgard/Gungnir&Mjolnir) and ALO (the Pan Am stack).

The headphone system will be bedside and used for late night reading. I am not looking for uber resolution but rather, warmth, that will sound good with most material. Any thoughts? I am particularly interested in hearing about the Pan Am stack. Thanks!
The LCD-2 and the T1 sound quite different. The T1 is uber resolution and will reward great recordings and punish poor ones, and the LCD-2 is warm and sounds good with most material.

The LCD-2 sounds good, very good, with a Schiit Lyr (don't have their newer amps), whereas the T1 shows up the limitations with the Schitt amp - which is a bit grainy and noisy in absolute terms, but a bargain for what it does.

The LCD-2 is a large and heavy headphone. Lying back on a pillow is not going to work. The T1 is more manageable. Over ear headphones need you to keep fairly upright and relatively still to work properly. If there is someone else there, you might also need to consider whether you should be using closed or open headphones.

I have not heard the Schiit or ALO DACs. Good luck