View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Tim - Flaws in LPs can be the nature of the game in some instances. IMO, it really depends on what is acceptable to you and your listening when it comes to flaws in the record. I've bought tons of LPs from Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct with only a few instances where I debated on whether or not to return/exchange an LP due to a defect or noise. If it's just a few seconds of pops or one or two noticeable things, I usually overlook it and don't think it's worth the hassle even though they're great about exchanges. Now I had the worst experience with the John Lennon box set.....I went through at least 2 box sets due to random skipping, distortion, non fill, you name it and all on multiple records in the set. I eventually had them replace individual records until I had a complete set that wasn't a mess. Point is, sometimes it may be hard to get a perfect record due to a variety of factors, pressing plants, stampers, etc. One example is Jason Isbell's LP Southeastern. There was a known defect in its pressing and after going through 3 copies I gave up and bought the CD. I will say that I have bought way way more LPs that are perfect than have issues, but every now and then it happens. As far as the sleeves, I replace every single cleaned LP in a MOFI sleeve.......I figure if we're going to all this expense with an analog setup, might as well do it right.

- Buck
Buck,
Thanks for the response. Do you use outer sleeves as well? Sometimes I think I may be more likley to damage the record jacket putting the darn sleeve on the if I left it off.
I am probably being a little anal retentive on this.
Thanks again.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature