View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinster View Post
well well....the honey moon is over, tried to connect the Ayre link today, and well it didn't work, the last amp in the chain was not responding to the preamp signals. i tried MXR KXR MXR it clearly states that it doesn't matter in which order as long as you daisy chain, and don't complete the circuit..... and that is when things went awry. My beautiful repaired amp now doesn't produce music....the relay does not click when going from standby (green) to on (blue) and there is no sound. Tried swapping inputs it is a power amp problem not a preamp problem.
Did you use the AyreLink cables supplied with the amps or two-line phone cables you had on hand?

I learned (the hard way) that some phone cables swap cable pairs between ends of the cable and some do not, and AyreLink requires the ones that do.

If you hold both modular jacks of the cable facing the same direction, the center two pins and the outer two pins must switch colors in the cable run.

So, holding the modular clip on top and facing up as shown below, one must be wired Yellow, Green, Red, Black as shown:

The other must be wired (from left) Black, Red, Green, Yellow (where the yellow and black are swapped and the red and green are swapped from the other end.)

If you use cables that do not, (some are wired such that both ends are the same color sequence), bad things happen in the precise way you describe (as far as I can tell from both connected devices trying to "transmit" to each other and/or simultaneously providing trigger output voltages on the same pin); the amp's control circuitry can be damaged as a result. The way you can tell this damage has occurred is if when pressing the LED, the color changes from green to blue with no accompanying "click" from the internal relays; if your amp is exhibiting that behavior it will need to be repaired.

I wish Ayre would put a big flashing warning in their manual about this, but as they pack an AyreLink cable with each amp (or at least with each MX-R Twenty), I suspect they feel they've got it covered.

Last edited by BillK; 04-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.