View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
Most audio dealers I've visited are compromised by the following​ constraints in regard to speakers:

1) Position of speakers - Dealers have multiple speakers in the same room. This makes auditioning of a specific model challenging as most are not willing to move each one into place for optimal imaging and soundstaging.

2) Sympathetic resonance from other speakers' cone drivers - especially woofers, while one listens to the model of choice literally color the sound one hears from a system when there are many other speakers in the room.

3) Unsympathetic pairing of cables, components, and other ancillary equipment, which may bring out harshness, dullness, or lack of pace and rhythm.

4) Rooms that while treated are not optimal in size and geometry.

I've listened to systems in such environments that cost north of $200k that didn't impress me.

This isn't to discount what you said. It's something I've noticed about how audio dealers have limited ability to bring out the best in a single component.
Those are all very good points, and some of them are certainly applicable to my dealer. It's unfortunate though because it eliminates them as a place where I can do effective comparisons.

But the topic at hand is the Mark Levinson No. 526 and No. 523. In my case, the utter black noise floor, attack, sustain, and resolution characteristics are commendable and are also the basis for my very subjective recommendation!