View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Audio Snoopster

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really kind of like the overall look of the D.D. preamp. That being said, I hope that Dan reconsiders the following:
  • Have the copper to cover both the side & top panels as well as make the copper on the top panel to be similar in width to the faceplate's copper strips.
  • Either go with an "All Button" or an "All Mini-Propeller" layout on either side of the Volume Meter, because in it's current form, the faceplate looks rather "busy"/"non-symmetrical" - a fine example of a very elegant symmetrical design would be the Ayre KX-R preamp's Scroll Wheels on either side of its front panel display. In fact, I personally think an "All Mini-Propeller" layout consisting of 2 Mini-Propellers on either side of the Volume Meter would be very nice where the 2 right side Mini-Propellers would remain as the Base & Treble Tone Controls, while the 2 left side Mini-Propellers would be for the Source Selector & the Balance Control.

Other than the somewhat controversial looks, what interests me the most is Dan's re-introduction of Tone Controls which also can be switched out of the audio circuit entirely when not in use. It is claimed that unlike other high-end preamps from days of yore, his implementation will not degrade the sound quality, but rather make flawed recordings sound better. A bold claim indeed, but until I get to demo it, we shall see.

In addition, the following pic shows more clearly the 300 VA power supply which is housed in a separate chassis, which also serves as a base for the D.D. preamp:

Anyway, here's what "PureSound.be" (Dutch audio review website) reported on the D.D. preamp - Puresound: D