View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 AM

Hi Dan-

Perhaps something in my journey to the MC 75's might be of help to you.

When I looked in to replacing my MC 352, we spent approx 4 hours listening at Audio Classics 352 to 452 to 275 back and forth. The final choice was the 275 with the possibility of purchasing a second in the future and/or changing my speakers.

At the time I had Mc LS 360 speakers with an efficiency rating of 88 db. While the 275 drove them quite well, there was some confusion at higher volumes. Getting the upgrade bug, replaced them Legacy Focus SE's. Certainly preferred the sound and an efficiency of 95.4 db received the "confusion."

A year later and seriously considering a second 275 finally gave the MC 75's a listen. I can really say there was a night and day difference between the 75's and the 275! Considered trading the 275 for a pair of 75's but kept the 275 for the lows and 75's for the mid/highs. They pair together well for a bi-amp set up. I have tried switching the 75's and 275 around. The bass did get a bit more defined but the mid's and uppers got lost. Considered another pair to replace the 275 but did a pre-amp upgrade instead.

As a side note, the 75's seem to put out less heat than the 275 and it is true they have the same transformer as the 275. They fit quite well where my 352 once sat so they should fit quit well where your 452 now resides. Lastly, it is my understanding that McIntosh ceased production quite abruptly on the 75's and dealers did not have an opportunity to do a "stock-up" if desired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current.jpg (88.7 KB, 69 views)