View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Does anyone else feel that a certain "magic" of a tuner is all part of a tuner experience? I'm in my 30s and I remember as a kid scanning around the AM band late at night and picking up far away stations from exotic locales such as St. Louis (I'm in Chicago) and being amazed. Something from St. Louis was making its way into my bedroom! When a buddy of mine got a shortwave radio my mind was completely blown.

Fast forward to my college days when Internet radio started to become popular and I thought it was cool to listen to college stations from remote areas, but it was never very exciting to me. Since then I had a series of AVRs with horrible tuners and never got into FM, aside from a great local college station. After I picked up a serviced MR74 2 years ago or so the magic returned. I was picking up fringe stations in the 88-92 band and discovering all sorts of interesting content. Finely tuning the station in via the analog knob made it seem like I was contributing to the magic of pulling these stations in.

The MR74 is in storage and I've got the excellent MR88, which kind of removes a little magic with its digital tuning, but I still get fascinated by scanning that lower band and seeing what I can find. I need to mount the AM antenna and see what I can find with that. I don't know why, but it's so much more satisfying to tune in a station with my MR88 than it is to just listen to an online stream. I'm not sure what my point here is, but does anyone feel the same magic with their tuner(s)? They're just FUN and that's what this hobby is all about!
In Chicago, try 88.7 (Loyola) and 89.3 (Northwestern). 89.3 has great jazz in the morning. The Hip Hop Project on Sat night on 88.7 is the best hip hop on the radio.