View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 11:43 PM

I know they are working on a fix but could be many more months away as they are likely going to have to change out the USB card for one that is more Linux and Mac friendly. Could be similar to the Dac 8 upgrade program announced earlier this month. Mine works fine with Windows 10 and JRiver and plays all resolutions including DSD just fine. That said, I'm not really sure I care any more and here's why ... I brought home a Berkeley Alpha USB to demo and couldn't believe how much better it made the Dac9 sound. Now I'm not even sure I care about DSD any longer. What I noticed was that bass definition is much better, a little smoother highs overall while producing a MUCH larger sound stage in all directions and a more open midrange. I'm hearing things in recordings that I didn't even know was there!

I'm not sure if the Berkeley unit is that good, the USB card in the Dac9 has opportunities, or some combination of the two. Needless to say the Berkeley device isn''t going back to the store ... :-)

By the way ... at 200+ hours everything got a lot better for me around 160-180 hours. With the addition of the Berkeley unit I think I'm good, case closed ... for now at least ...

Last edited by gadawg; 03-11-2017 at 12:10 AM.