View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I'm thinking of trying out those JJ golds in my line stage for a little warmth over my GLs. For $25/ea, not too much of a risk I suppose.
I'm thinking of putting the JJs back in to see how they do at some point. What I notice is that the GLs don't have quite the bottom of the BDs and definitely not of the JJs, but they're very good; I like the detail they offer so far. I have only 18 hours on the recently purchased Transparent Premium PCs, so there's not much time with the setup as is; the Premiums may still be maturing for all I know. I haven't tried vinyl yet either, so there's a ways to go, but my guess is the GLs will be more forgiving on vinyl. Perhaps I'd even try the JJs in the line stage and leave the GLs in the phono section of my C2300. But I need to put in time on vinyl first, and play a few more of my reference tracks on CD and DVD/BD as well.

Meantime, I did locate my Atlanta Symphony CD and played Fanfare. This confirmed my earlier comments. The GLs have a nice low end that I could certainly live with, but they come up a bit short in terms of weight compared to the BDs. That would make a difference for the video side to be sure, and I noticed it with earlier DVDs I played, including the Soundgarden track during ciosing credits of The Avengers.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks