View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Just a reminder that Parasound's latest phono is the JC-3+.

How the JC3+ improves on the JC3:

-Variable MC load adjust independent for each channel from 50-550 ohms with dual gang potentiometers specially made for Parasound by Vishay.
-Curl-Thompson tweaked circuits to further reduce the JC 3 silent background noise.
-24k gold plated copper traces on phono module boards for utmost conductivity and most transparency/detail in the music.
-47% larger low ESD power supply filter caps greater reserve for head-snapping dynamics.
-82% larger R-core power transformer greater reserve for more low end impact.
-Ability to turn off illumination of the front panel P logo.
And all for an extra $500, I believe. I knew about the upgrade, but would be fine with the regular JC 3 also, as I don't play records that much these days. I'm sure either the original or upgraded model is better than my 47K, a 20 year-old unit which sounds more than respectable even today. Still, thanks for the specs on what the upgrade actually involves. The power supply upgrade is attractive.

To invest in one of these would be to make a commitment to vinyl at a time when I'm not sure what I'll be doing. I hope to retire in 10 years, at which time I'd probably have to relocate (NY is really expensive and I'd be on reduced income). If my turntable dies within the next five years, I'll replace it; after that I'd be inclined to let it and the associated accessories go as a downsizing measure. My LPs, also.

But with my current setup, LPs have sounded good. Decisions, decisions.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks