View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Jerome, your systems and mine have some surprising similarities. In particular, I have two pairs of speakers similar to yours---a modern British 3-way (Spendor SP-100 for me, Harbeth 40.1 for you), and a homemade 2-way using vintage drivers and the Altec 32 horn. My DIY speakers use an Altec 802-8G compression driver on a 32A aluminum horn and a Jensen 15" woofer (P15LL) in a sealed cabinet. The speaker was inspired by the Western Electric 753 which used the same woofer and same horn although with WE designations but with a WE 713 compression driver. The 713 drivers are way out of my budget, but the 802-8G can sound quite nice too. I developed my own crossover which is a 1200 Hz 12db design, pretty straightforward except I incorporated an equalization network. The eq circuit was actually designed by Altec for the same compression driver in a 32 horn. It comes from the Altec 9849A which used the 802-8G in a 32B horn with a 12" woofer. My eq network is in the high-frequency circuit only and it does a nice job smoothing the response and extending the HFs. The homemade speakers sound really nice but then so do my Spendors just in different ways. That's why I end up swapping them every few weeks or so.

Have you published any details of your DIY speakers?