View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM

Default My thoughts...

Yes, understand the R series should be left on. IMO and judging from the hand test, the VXR runs pretty warm..i may just get to the point of leaving it on but the cleaning person just loves to ignore my large font 900 sign on the Stickley cabinet that says DO NOT CLOSE DOORS !!!! Ha. removing the doors violates WAF.

My thoughts on how long to magic. During breakin about 2 hours to get liquid midrange and extreme depth, now less than a CD..say 30 minutes. NO, i do NOT leave the 5SE on.

On choosing the ARC vs. the Ayre, and yes I essentially called them a tie in price, even tho they are clearly not, plus my color in black, an Ayre upcharge.

I worked with two long running Vandy, ARC and Ayre dealers, one w model sevens. (I split the business w one getting amp sale, another getting PRE). While they both favor the tube pre and SS amp pairing, I made my own call, including demo of Ref 150. I also demo'd many other pres at other dealers to include Joule, CJ, Levinson, Mac, Aesthetix, .list goes on. THEY all have incredible virtues...this was a tough choice.

ARC won out on four variables, soft but extended treble, liquid midrange w female vocals and massed vocals to die for, image DEPTH which w Vandersteens can be VERY revealing, and finally MID bass in the so called power range. I have some trouble hearing timbre in standup acoustic bass and I can "get it" with the REf5.

The KXR shines on less noise, blacker background, low bass (although IMO not an Ayre strong suite w amps...maybe a vestige of zero Fb ?), and a VERY extended top end that is grain free.

Just my buck fifty, which is 2 cents adjusted for inflation...

Jim

Picking the

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
Could you please give your reasoning for picking the 5se vs kxr? Did the kxr sound lean at all with the mxr's and vandy's? Please assume cost is the same.

Also, how long after turning on does the 5se sound say 90% optimum. Do you turn on prior to listening or does it sound good right away and get better over first 60 minutes?

I assume one would not want to leave a tube "anything" like a preamp always "on" like a ss preamp.

Thx again!