View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 PM

Chapter 2: Dipping My Toe in the Deep End

Introducing my first real piece of modern HiFi...

Cambridge Audio Azur 840A V2.0 integrated[B]

I was interested in replacing my H/K 3370 Stereo Receiver with my first separates setup for a long time, but it has always intimidated me. After reading many of the threads here (thank you all), I started looking at an integrated amp as an alternative option. The Rega Brio-R, NAD C 356BEE, and Cambridge Audio Azur 651A were all on my short list, but were more than I really wanted to spend. The Cambridge Audio Azur 851A was the "ultimate" dream amp for me, but more than double my already stretched budget so it was clearly out of the question. Then the 840A popped up out of nowhere for a song so I jumped on it.

It is the nicest piece of gear that I have and I hope it is the center of my system for many, many years to come. It is simply beautiful and my eyes and an absolute beast - I had no idea I'd ever be this excited about something like this!

I'm sure it is going to spark some additional "upgrades" down the road. Next will likely be a new turntable or cart upgrade for my current table. Fun, isn't it :thmbsp:

Chapter 3: Diving In

Well…the fun continues with my journey into more "modern" gear.

Digital
This week the match to my integrated amp arrived. Introducing the new to me Cambridge Audio Azur 840C (forgive the crappy picture). Not only is it a stunning piece of hardware and an absolute beast, I'm loving the sound. This is what I call fun

Analog
As some of you may know, I picked up a Rega P25 turntable with loads of upgrades, a Clearaudio Nano Phono preamp, and an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge for my vintage Pioneer PL-570 turntable. Well, I fell in love with the Pioneer all over again with the addition of the new cart and phono preamp so I decided to give the Rega P25 a new home.

Rega P25 Anniversary Edition table with lots of upgrades…
  • Grado Reference Platinum1 cartridge
  • Groovetracer Reference Subplatter
  • Groovetracer Delrin Platter
  • Upgraded 24v motor
  • Upgraded belt

Ortofon 2M Blue on my Pioneer PL-570

Note: I'm not saying that the Pioneer was "better" than the Rega…I just decided that money would be better spent for other things in my system since I love the Pioneer so much.

I've since picked up a PS Audio GCPH phono preamp. Why? I have no idea, but I'm excited to put it up against the Clearaudio Nano Phono…it's like David v. Goliath The GCPH is an absolute MONSTER…I had no idea how big it was until it arrived.

Check out the size of that grounding post!

Needless to day, I'm enjoying this

Turns out the Nano is awesome, but after playing with GCPH for a day it is in another class! I'm not sure that I could justify the 2.5x price point, but since I picked it up for just a little more than the price of a new Nano I'm beyond thrilled.

Chapter 4: Meet Vincent

This next update came much sooner than I expected! I just happened to stumble on a piece that I couldn't pass up - what I believe may be the last integrated amp I buy in the next 10+ years...maybe ever! Introducing...

Vincent Audio TubeLine SV-236MKII Hybrid Stereo Integrated Amplifier

(also pictured was the PS Audio GCPH I mentioned earlier in this thread)

It didn't take me long to realize that this is the one for me...I absolutely love it. The warmth compared to my Cambridge 840A is exactly what I was looking for. Any while the power specs don't look all that different than my Cambridge 840A, the Vincent really does seem like it is in a completely different league. I can't imagine pushing this thing past the half way point.

Did I mention before that I'm having fun?

Low volume listening/detail is like nothing I've ever heard before with the Vincent's Class A goodness! The gentlemen I bought the Vincent from was an awesome guy and invited me in to see/listen to his setup. It was SO much fun (his system was amazing and inspired my next speaker purchase) - I'm trying to expand my musical tastes and get more into Jazz so he introduced me to some awesome stuff. He also gave me a 3 disc CD set of Patricia Barber - I've been playing it all day long at low levels most of the time and it sounds amazing.