View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

I'm tempted by the Altecs but really don't need to open another can of worms.
If you do go for Altecs, plan for immediate x-over upgrades (scratch or vintage), and then more tweaks from there. Updated x-overs help, in some cases help a lot depending on the age of the Altecs. I helped a friend with three scratch build sets of the extra-large Altec / Onken replicas. Huge refrigerator size speakers. They run custom 3-4 watt Audio Note 300B amps with massive transformers. Seems my friend and his two friends were happy initially with all three pairs of these Onkens. Now it seems every time I go over there, the crossovers change notable once again, different horns are being swapped in/out. Now one of them decided to deconstruct, sell the parts. A lot of work went into these speakers too. Problem is, you need the right room for those big horns too and it seems its hard for them to find a good "set" point because each has a different room. That's why I stick with the smaller cabinet designs.

I agree, maybe Lewis over at Omega might do some loaners but they are all the way out in CT. I'd have to be certain before trying that. I've got a few builds I wanna go back and re-try this year anyhow so may do that first. Right now I'm still kind of amazed how this little DH KT150 amp sounds with my custom designed DEC-AMT28 speakers. It will drive them, but going back to my big V12R amp tonight to compare what I'm missing, if anything.

Last edited by decooney; 02-04-2018 at 12:13 PM.