View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 05:53 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Of course you can always buy advice as some here suggest. Whether you do that or not I will urge you to learn to set up your own table. If you hire someone choose someone who is willing to be a teacher.

One way to learn is to use a cheap, inexpensive cartridge for practice and experimenting. You want to acquire skill in adjusting your tonearm and its worthwhile first to learn the terminology and how it applies to your arm and table - this is basec tonearm geometry. See the diagram below.

You will want to learn how to move your arms and hands around the table and tonearm - slow and cautious is the best advice I received. Quality magnification and good lighting are essential.

You could always look here at AA. Your topic has been covered many times. Search is your friend. For example:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...6&postcount=24

A few of the links in that post are obsolete. If you choose to buy a tool, don't be a cheapskate. Quality tools will last a lifetime and you can go through a lot of money until you find the right one that works. A tool doesn't have to be labeled "audiophile".

Ask questions.

Tools - I've tried almost all of them.

- Lighting and magnification
- A small quality machinist level - forget bubble levels. Edit: that is, round audiophile bubble levels.
- A weighing scale and/or stylus force gauge. I like the Ortofon DS-3.
- A protractor - the Smart Tractor or its more expensive brother the UNI-Pro are the best, period.
- For azimuth adjustment, the Feickert Adjust+ software is the best.

Last edited by tima; 03-10-2020 at 09:30 AM. Reason: clarity