View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I absolutely know I need 120 watts on occasion from my Alexx. Most of the time 12 watts but put on Mahlers 6th and the volume of the D1100 on 75%, I need `120 watts. It is so clean and pure, it doesn't even sound loud but my oh my the ending will blast you out of your seat. It's what you pay the big bucks for. It's incredible. Last time I checked 10% of 1,200 watts which is the minimum power output of my 1.25KW's is 120 watts or within my 10% requirement. I note this requirement does not apply to tube amps. That's why tube watts are "bigger" watts than solid state watts. A 75 watt MC75 is therefore the equivalent of a 750 class AB solid state amp. A 2301 is a monster.

Hello, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I found this quite interesting.
I listened to a pair of Triangle Magellan Quatuor at the local Triangle/McIntosh dealer.

System for the audition was DCS Rossini Player/DAC + C1100 + 1,2kw monos. It was incredible so I have to have those speakers.

Now this Triangle Quatuors are difficult to drive, are quoted at 260w in 8ohms and are able to receive 500w peaks. They were measured to dip to 3ohms.

Of course my budget does not allow for such an expensive pream/amp combo and I was discussing with the dealer about a MC462 which I think should be more than enough. For preamp/DAC I would use an old Devialet D200 I have until I will have more money to upgrade.

But the dealer told me he has a second hand Mastersound Evolution 845 integrated tube amp (55W Class A) and he thinks that this tiny integrated is more than enough with those speakers (which I found hard to believe)

Obviously I will audition with both when my speakers arrive but I have 2 questions.

1. Why do you think tube watts are so much "bigger" than ss watts? Same principles should apply to both? Or maybe I am missing something? The only electrical difference I know is that tube amps soft clip when pushed too hard vs ss amps which will hard clip, possibly destroying the tweeters.

2. As I made my audition on 1,2kw monos should I expect a very bad surprise in terms of SQ when I downgrade to 462?

Thank you very much,
Cristian