Thread: Typhon QR
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Default Typhon QR

The new Typhon QR is out, and I was very curious how this would stack up compared to other Shunyata components. As an avid audio and music aficionado, I've been a long time fan of Shunyata products, always hearing a musical benefit with their new products, or as I slowly moved up the product line. This has been true of every product - except- the original Typhon. I had that plugged into my Triton V3 and always thought the improvement was very small. So when the Typhon QR was released I was hopeful but unsure. However, Shunyata's new power distributors, either the Denali or the Triton V3, are a monumental improvement over prior already outstanding power products. I think Caelin is doing some of his best work of his long and impressive career. I was therefore hopeful the new Typhon QR may provide larger benefits than the original Typhon.
The Typhon QR arrived well packaged as always from Shunyata. It weighs a hefty 42 pounds and is built like a tank. The new Typhon QR is connected in series with the Triton V3 unlike the original Typhon which was a parallel unit. All power from the wall goes through the Typhon QR then onto the Triton V3.
I let the Typhon QR settle in for a couple days prior to listening closely.
On powering up last night for a nice long listening session I was immediately shocked by what I was hearing - improvements were obvious and profound all across the board. Resolution, attack, harmonics, bass extension - the sound of live music brought back to life! A few tracks that I have always turned to because I've heard them on dozens of systems and hundreds of times were like new again - I could clearly hear all kinds of small details like string vibratos, sax keys being released, faint background singers emerged and were audible like never before. The sound stage opened up and sharpened with each instrument placed in a remarkably stable position. This combined with the improved attack and resolution is quite breath taking. All of these elements combine to deeply improve the musical experience and breathes new life into any recording I've played.
The Typhon QR is another very impressive accomplishment from Shunyata. The improvements across the board are outstanding - and in some ways shocking. I could not have imagined it was possible to provide such a leap - listening through my system with this addition is so much fun! If you've used the original Typhon or are considering adding the Typhon QR I whole heartily recommend you give it an audition.

Last edited by DMelby; 08-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.