View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Sounds good, Serge. I didn't know the specs, but 41Hz ± 3 dB is pretty nice for a monitor that size. My Contours 3.4s are flat down to 30 Hz but a much bigger speaker. Sounds like your requirents are such that just running the Special 40s full-range would make for a very nice musical experience. I don't know how many hours the demo pair you heard had on the clock, but well run-in Dyns can be VERY nice. A small sub like the REL T-Zero might be just ticket if you decide to run a sub....
+1 on the REL sub. I have not heard their latest offerings and auditioning subs is not an easy task... I've always been impressed with their musicality and disappearing nature though so I don't doubt they are good.

Back in the day I went with the JL Audio subs and they were stupendously good too. Having a stereo pair with my SF Guarneri Memento's and two Fathoms dialed in to perfection had all the slam, impact, deep, tight and well articulated bass that I could have never achieved with a floorstanding speaker in that smaller room.

Big speakers with truly low bass capability just do not play well with smaller rooms. If one overshoots with a speaker for the room, not much can be done at that point. It will never sound balanced and I hate bloated, boomy bass. Once again, I find myself with a similar dimension room so I will take the tried and true path. Monitors like the 40's and a sub if need be.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-20-2017 at 11:30 PM.