View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Very cool, review, Serge, thanks. As you know, I'm a big Dyn fan.

My experience with Dyns over quite a few years now is they very neutral, but never cold or un-musical; instead they are very "pure and musical", as you have described. As they are so neutral, they do pretty much reflect the amplification gear driving them, so I'd expect them to be on the darker, warmer side with McIntosh gear. Other electronics I've heard them sound very good with are C-J, of course, as well as NAIM, Octave, and T+A. I'd expect they'd sound fantastic with Esoteric as well. You should also be able to get them to integrate with a REL sub very nicely, and obtain full-range performance. My guess is the Special 40s have good output down to about 45 Hz or so just by themselves.
Stephen, specs say 41Hz +/- 3dB. Sounds about right to my ears. Much easier to work with monitor speakers that do not overpower the room and my room where the system will be is on the smaller side. If I feel the bass lacking, unlikely because while the Special Forty can't plumb the depths of the lower octaves, what it does, it does honestly to my ears. It just signs off politely at the 40Hz or thereabouts without creating artificial bloat and fat, flabby bass trying to. Having said that, adding a small, musical sub will certainly help if need be.