View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervstt View Post
There's a new review of the Alexia 2's in The Audio Beat by Marc Michelson. I believe that he has reviewed most Wilson speakers, past and present, for Soundstage and The Audio Beat. The Alexia 2 followed the Wilson Audio Alexx in his listening room and the comparison is very interesting...

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipmen...o_alexia_2.htm

He writes for example that:

"However, from the very beginning of my listening, I was stunned by the Alexia 2, so much so, in fact, that I wrote confidently in my listening notes "the best-sounding Wilson speaker I've heard in my room." And this boiled down to coherence, the sense that what I was hearing wasn't the product of a multitude of cabinet materials, drivers, passive parts and metal pieces, but rather that of a single, unified entity. Yes, the music seemed "of a piece" and "to emanate from a single full-range driver," to quote a few audio bromides, but it was also something beyond, something greater. The Alexia 2 was, again from my listening notes, "a breakthrough, a new door of perception."

As mentioned earlier, the Alexia 2 immediately followed the Alexx ($109,500 per pair) in my system, making head-to-head comparison easy and essential. The Alexx was our Product of the Year for 2017, and in my review I questioned how it would compare to the speaker directly above it in the Wilson product line, the Alexandria XLF ($210,000 per pair). I wasn't able to answer that question with any certainty, because I hadn't heard the XLFs in such a long time. But since my review of the Alexx, I've gotten some convincing anecdotal evidence in support of the less expensive speaker.

Well, I have to complicate matters and say that the Alexia 2 also needs to be included in this conversation. Putting aside that all three speakers display the triumvirate of Wilson Audio strengths -- coherence, dynamics and bass power -- very well, the Alexia 2 simply sounded more coherent with the wide array of music I played. And while it couldn't compete with the bigger speakers, and their bigger woofers, in terms of bass power, that coherence, extreme as it was, was simply too engrossing to consider the bass the arbiter of overall quality. There was also the Alexia 2's sense of inherent poise, its high resolution and relaxed way presenting detail, that gave it a musical advantage. The bigger speakers, with their higher sensitivities, were more overtly dynamic, showy even, but the Alexia 2 was never dynamically reticent."

He concludes the review by:

" If you end up with the Alexia 2, you'll own one of the very best speakers from one of high-end audio's most acclaimed companies; and if you think it's the finest Wilson speaker not named WAMM Master Chronosonic, you'll get no argument from me."

I have now had the Alexia S2's (replaced the Alexia S1's) since September last year and I fully agree with what Marc writes in his excellent review.

Stefan
The Alexia 2 also gets superb reviews from John Atkinson and Jason Victor Serinus in the July and August issues of Stereophile. I you want more bass you could certainly add a subwoofer. Congratulations and wise choice of speakers!

Last edited by Charles; 07-23-2018 at 08:49 AM.