View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I just ordered new Magnepan speakers to replace my current home theater setup. I will be getting the 3.6's for the mains and 1.6's for the surrounds. After talking to Wendell at Magnepan I discovered something my dealer was not aware of. They just released the new CCR center channel that was designed to match the 20.1, so I will be getting one of those.

My dealer also suggested that since I am only doing a 5.1 system with my McIntosh MC207 amp that I bi-amp the mains with the extra two channels. Not being familiar with the process, I understand that you would remove the external crossover that many owners have expressed is sub-par anyway.

Any thoughts?
1.6's for rears? you must have a large room... but not so fast with the active bi-amping; if you don't have a good baseline for how they sound stock (which is not bad by any means...) you won't appreciate how much better they will be using a better crossover. Removing the crossover means active biamping; First break them in; they take about 100 good thumping hours. Get some Mye stands; then worry about going active.

You can passively bi-amp them first right out of the box retaining the stock crossover; this means using a stereo amp for the mids/highs, and a stereo amp for the bass panels; in this case the same amp. But is it a possibility You could also bridge the two stereo channels of the 207? I am not familiar with the options on that amp...that would save you a set of speaker cables for now.