View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post
I have been hesitant to upgrade Ethernet cables since I have been using a $25 switch. It seems to defy logic. I just ordered a gaming switch and will try that with a Platinum 8 and we’ll see what happens
We're getting a bit off-topic here, and we should start a dedicated thread if our discussons continue, but if its possible to cancel your order for your "gaming" switch, or return it, and you can get a Netgear FS105A or FS108 along with a decent 7.5V linear power supply for it (e.g. a Jameco Reliapro), I would recommend that. My guess is the gaming switch will pass high-impedance leakage currents down your Ethernet cable if it uses a switch-mode power supply (and my hunch is, it does).

Also, if the WW Plat 8 is shielded with the shields connected to the Telegartner plugs, then, for the vast majority of Ethernet switches using an SMPS, the switch it will pass its high-impedance leakage current along the shield straight on through to your DAC. The key here is if the shielding in the Ethernet cable is "connected" (ground) or "floating" (ungrounded). AQ uses "floating" shielding, for example, in their Ethernet cables. I don't know what shielding configuration WW uses, but David Salz is a very sharp guy, so he may already know about this.

If you get the Netgear switch and use it with an LPS with your WW Plat 8, this will not be an issue.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-08-2019 at 05:22 PM.