View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Default DirectStream Here to Stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Perfect timing....PS Audio DS DAC receives Absolute Sounds 2016 Golden Ear Award!! Maybe I sold mine too soon!
I have owned mine since October of 2014 and have enjoyed each and every firmware upgrade.

I am just "smitten" with MQA, so much so I bought a Mytek Brooklyn DAC for streaming MQA from Tidal. Though the Brooklyn is "the bomb" for decoding MQA, I find that it sounds "dry" with non-MQA source, compared to the DirectStream DAC.

Besides the lack of "edginess" from the PS Audio model, I'm not sure what Ted Smith's done, but I find that no other DAC has that rock-solid placement of voices and instruments in the sound stage.

No plans to replace the DirectStream DAC....unless PS Audio comes up with something more magical in the future!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling