View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I could never categorize in what order of magnitude the difference may be because some IC’s brought a bigger change than before, other times it was indeed a power cord with an already good pair of IC’s in place and vice-verse. It’s all a cumulative effect to me. But as always, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Cable up boys!
Indeed.

Yep, it's all a system, and with any system, there are interactions, some of which may be beneficial and some of which may be deleterious. And the end of the day, it's about maximizing S/N; maximizing signal and minimizing noise. Noise is the Devil when to comes to audio reproduction.

Grant Samuelson of Shunyata finds that, and I think he would agree that, as a broad generalization, in order which type of cable drives the largest impact it's 1) power cords, 2) speaker cables and 3) interconnects. In my limited experience, I would agree; I've gotten much bigger gains from a $95 Shunyata Venom 3 than a $900 pair of interconnects.

I haven't experimented with speaker cables at all, but based on what Grant has said, I plan to look into this pretty soon.

Shoot, adding my Triton power distributor alone was like a major preamp upgrade. And it's a completely passive device, which is all the more remarkable.

Noise is the Devil....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.