View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
You can always experiment with what you have. In my setups I’ve found inches can make a difference and experimentation is the key. Media cabinets can provide some nice diffusion but the TV itself is a sound reflector.

I would experiment by placing a quilt or heavy blanket on the TV and see what happens to your soundstage. Do the same with the media cabinets just for grins. I’m guessing they will make less of a difference in the soundstage. But you never know.

Dan (jdandy) and others have done this experiment and now have very beautiful acoustic art panels covering their tv’s when not in use.

I have placed several dipole speakers for friends and they are always a challenge because they need a lot of space away from the front wall. You can experiment with that option as well by pulling the speakers farther out into the room. There is a point at which they will ‘lock’ and the soundstage will get deep and wide.
I remember increasing toe-in a while back; I don't remember how it sounded, but didn't like how it looked so I put things back as they were. I may revisit that. In an ideal situation the LP and CD racks wouldn't be on that back wall, as the reflections are part of what helps bipolar speakers (front and rear drivers in phase) give that deep soundstage I remember at the dealer's demo. Pulling them further into the room is a possibility, but not more than a few inches, as I don't want the left speaker to be too close to my computer desk.

There's also bringing the couch forward perhaps another 6 inches, as my head's very close to the back wall. Because the system fires across the short dimension (14') I'll need to be careful about how far into the room the couch and speakers are, lest it look wonky.

I simply have too much stuff, considering the small space I'm in (a 1BR apartment). The amount of paper is a sheer nightmare, the amount of mail is overwhelming, mainly charitable appeals, various documents, catalogs and magazines. I'm scheduled off this week and plan to do as much damage to the clutter in here as I can, see what I can get rid of. I even have a friend from church coming over on Saturday to help me with my apartment (the living room, anyway). I'd rather that be a visit, not a clean-up. The battle begins today, officially.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks