View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 09:29 AM

Hi Venere,

Our Diamond domes are just that- diamond. We developed the domes with Element 6, which is a division of De Beers which specializes in synthetic diamonds. To my ear (and I worked for Sonus faber back with Franco Serblin was the owner, and Vienna Acoustics as well) they are the most natural tweeters I've heard. Those were all great tweeters back in the day, but listen to any musician play a drum kit and to my ear, the top end of a drum kit sounds distinctly unnatural (albeit, pleasant.) I'm reminded of this when I go hear live jazz in small clubs.

Any perceived diamond dome brightness is likely a result of setup/room interaction issue with an individual system. As an example, if I'm putting together a system and cannot get proper loading in the bass (a room acoustics issue), the perceived balance will be lean in the bass and hot on the top end. Resetting up the speakers for proper bass loading restores the proper balance and the top end no longer sounds bright.

Best regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
For me, the obvious solution to the "obvious tweeter" problem has always been to buy speakers that use silk dome tweeters. They just sound more natural to me. Every metal dome tweeter I've heard has called attention to itself, and if I understand the tech correctly B&Ws diamond tweeter is aluminum at heart. I find it interesting that Wilson is gradually replacing all their beryllium tweeters with what is essentially a pretty basic silk dome. Also, Magico has clearly toned down their older tweeter with a warmer-sounding tweeter (regardless of the fancy tech explanation they give for their new diamond coating process). It seems that many folks are discovering what Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics buyers have known for a long time..silk dome tweeters simply sound pleasant and natural, like real music.