Thread: Focal 807W
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
John, I have never heard any Simaudio amps. Their reputation seems to be for a clean and neutral sound, not sure whether that generalisation fits with what you hear from yours. The inverted aluminium/magnesium dome tweeter that Focal have used can be aggressive with some amps. I think it needs a touch of warmth to balance out, and I am not sure Simaudio has that? Although in the new Aria range, this tweeter seems much calmer (they changed the suspension). This difference is quite significant. I use the Aria 906 with a small Naim system (UnitiServe/V1/NAP100) which is a well balanced and musical combination. Put an 8 series Focal, or an Electra series, and it is too bright/fatiguing for my taste. But the latter two balance nicely for me with an Arcam: A38 in my case. Which in turn sounds too thick and slow with the Aria. And so it goes The W series mid/bass driver is punchier and more transparent than the new flax based drivers used in the Aria, as you would expect.
Glisse..... Thank you for that. A local dealer has a pair of Electra 1038 Be IIs that I have listened to driven by Naim and liked. Getting my 700i over to him is not really possible, but so is him bringing the speakers to me at the moment. Wanted to see if anyone had paired them before and could report.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM