View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Blown & Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Absolutley true...does not however take care of noise from unused inputs and outputs. Signal grounding those I think is they key as that noise can be shunted away and dealt with if someone would build a device to do this.

This is true BTW even for components where you can mute unused inputs and outputs. Generally even with Esoteric, when muted, that's taking care of the negative and positive...the ground is not muted.
This "tweak" has been around for a bit in audiophile circles. Previously, shorting plugs (which overzealous enthusiasts oft plugged into outputs as well) were recommended to shunt noise from unused inputs. [Such devices do have a place on unused phono inputs on some preamps (mostly vintage) but for a slightly different reason.]

To that I suggest if your preamp provides a path for a micro-signal present at a non-selected unused input to reach the signal path of the selected input, you may need a better preamp. It's one thing to have a tuner on and hear a little crosstalk when using the phono input (very high gain) at high volume settings but to suggest that residual noise measured in microvolts at a non-selected input could somehow pollute the signal from the selected source is a stretch.

I'm no fun. I know.