View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
Sorry for holding out. I wanted a few days of listening before commenting. My first concern was again, would the horns sound harsh moving to solid state? Not at all. The bottom cleaned up as well.

So far it has been all digital listening and I still need to break out the vinyl. I do eq on itunes to add more bass and run the preamps tone on bypass. With this amp, I can actually hear a sound quality difference in the tone bypass other than the change in bass and treble. I may get a pair of REL's first to compensate for lack of the low end with the speakers sooner than later.

All in all I am happy with this amp and it will hold me over until I get an MC 452 but that will be down the road. And I must add they now get loud! I have not tested how loud yet, but certainly much louder than I need or want. The green light almost never moves up to the next bar and is far from clipping. I did end up setting the amp around 3 o clock like you suggested.

I do like the highs of the mc275 because they have a little more body for lack of a better term, but was frustrated because I could not rock out. Stuff like Dylan and the Dead sounded really good with the 275 but they also sound great with the crown.
Cool to hear that it at least sounds good

Yes, stay at 3 o'clock on the knob position, safer this way. The best is to run a pink noise to know exactly what the setting would be.

Some procedure.....
Run a pink noise thru a cd-player and via your preamp. Disconnect the speakercable(when doing this also disconnect the powercable) then connect ONLY the powercable and turn the amplifier ON. Turn the knobs on the amp to zero and set the volume on your preamp to 80%. Turn up the knobs on your amp until you see it clips(flashing red) and back it down until you don't see any clipping. You have set your Gain Structure. Connect everything back again and play some music. Enjoy!!

Your lack of bass is due to your room acoustics. To ease your mind there is no problem with the bass from the 4429. Here is a measurement I did at my listening position and the distance is 5meters from mic to the speakers.

In my room it goes down to 35Hz and then roll of, not so bad for a small box speaker.

I don't use any EQ!!!!

You can always run a subwoofer if you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4429.jpg (83.6 KB, 24 views)