View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......What is the difference in reading a description of performance on a tube seller's web page and reading someone's comment on a forum? You are no closer to understanding the sound of a tube than you were before you went searching. Until you put tubes in your amplifier and listen to them with your ears in your system you will not know squat about how they sound. Spend some money, purchase the tubes you're interested in, make your comparisons, and sell the ones that don't suit your taste. Quizzing people for their opinions will not give you a definitive answer.
Ok, but I don't expect a definitive answer based on others' opinions. I agree completely that the ultimate answer is in listening to them myself. But gathering information is what I do to help in decisions (especially in unfamiliar territory such as tubes), and the information and opinion around here is better than I might get elsewhere. The overwhelmingly positive comments regarding the C2300 on this site is a major reason I gave it consideration, but the audition is why I bought it. Similar scenario with the Gold Lions displacing the JJ ECC803s tubes (which I was content with). Majority opinion here was an influence in my giving them a shot; my opinion, however, is what will keep them in the 2300 or remove them.

As for the Sovteks, I passed up a sale last week in order to spend time getting a better take on them. I'll check the Brent Jessee site, possibly look at other sources, then decide. I sense some weariness with the process, and am thinking this will wrap up at some point, meaning I might just put the JJs back into the 2300 and call it a day, try the Sovteks hoping they can provide the best of both worlds (JJs and GLs), or go after that C52.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks