View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 PM

Default Getting the best out of the BDP

Hi,

I have my BDP-2 since one week and I am slowly learning how to use every feature it has to offer. Good thing I have a strong background in computers from my gaming days and PC tuning otherwise I understand it could be daunting for some people.

As per the title of this thread, I am looking to extract the best in term of sound quality out of the BDP. Right now, while functionnal, I have the BDP-2 connected to the BDA-3 with a no-name-XLR-cable-from-a-past-bundle-trade and it sounds quite good already. However, as I was about to purchase a Kimber Select KS-2120 XLR to match the rest of my interconnects and speaker cables, I have read in the manual of the BDA-3 that only USB allows for DSD decoding. Okay, I have the latest tech so in that spirit I went and purchased a Kimber Select KS-2416 USB. Is the difference using USB versus XLR a significant jump in term of sound quality? I expect some positive difference since I am going from a no-name cable to relatively high-end cable.

Since I am in my early days with the BDP-2, I am streaming AIFF files with a USB stick from the front panel but I also read somewhere that the sound quality would be best with an internal SATA drive as there would be no conversion from SPDIF (correct me if I am wrong). That would be a big plus but I am more looking for convenience with the added SATA drive.

Another thing I am thinking, the power cable. Right now, I am using a no-name home-made but what seems of decent quality power cable to power the BDP-2. I am looking into this to find something of better quality. But if I can compare my experience with my BDA-3, where the difference between the stock cord versus a Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX what nothing short of a shock, can I expect a significant increase in sound quality going with a good quality power cable, like a Shunyata Alpha or Synergistic UEF Blue?

And one last thing (for now), the fuses. I was thinking down the road to upgrade the fuses with the Synergistic Quantum Blue. Anyone installed audiophile grade fuses on the BDP?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4430.jpg (83.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4429.jpg (84.5 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Parabellum; 03-15-2019 at 11:04 PM.