View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I doubt if any treatments inside your room will have much effect on any external noise source. You would need treatments/construction to isolate your room.

OTOH, if the source is inside your room, you could deal with it directly.
Kal I think you're right. I suppose noise suppression has to baked into the room construction, which of course, mine is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
I looked at this a few times, and obtained different readings within 10 dB of one another. I too started with a free or next to free app, dbMeter. I then purchased a iTestMic2 S6D microphone that plugs in an iPad using their app.

My room is professionally treated and one can clearly hear the difference prior to music playing. The room gets into the low 40’s with iTest and low 30’s with the dbMeter app, and I would think the iTest is more accurate with a somewhat decent plug in microphone.

dbMeter does include reference posted below, and in either reading the room IMO is quiet, and not sure if much more would be too extreme.

Attachment 57198
Attachment 57199
I used the free dbMeter as well. I didn't have any expectation of it being super accurate considering it's using the phone's microphone. I was impressed though with how sensative it appeared to me. It could detect my breathing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
About 23 dB during office hours. Need to test it on the weekend.

Room in a room construction. Walls are isolated from building structure. Floor is suspended and vibration isolated. Dual doors with acoustic gaskets.

Most of the residual noise readings are infrasonic. When taking readings you have hold your breath and avoid any movement of clothing. It is a bit like being in a tomb. The biggest shock is when you come out of the room after being in there for some time.
23db is an impressive number especially for an office environment. I think the expectation of background noise is just wired into our brain and we tend to freak out when it's absent. That -9db room has got to be spooky.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 11-18-2018 at 03:09 PM.