View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Agreed and excellent points, Marc. Specifically about superficial level of character development in most characters these days. The most resonant characters in recent years that I can relate to 1) is Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in the Iron Man series, in particular the first film, and 2)Christian Bale in the Christopher Nolan series of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight series, and Matt Damon in the Jason Bourne series.

I've also found the first film in a trilogy of movies to be usually be the most compelling as the sequels often fall prey to the usual panoply of special effects over story line and the ongoing development of engaging characters. A good example is The Transformers series; the first film was fantastic, the others...um, not so much. Bumblebee is the first Transformers film I've found since the very first film that was compelling and engaging.
But Batman and Iron Man are nostalgic characters who were invented in the 60's! Jason Bourne is from a book. It makes my point...are there any seriously compelling NEW characters in movies?