View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiel View Post
I appreciate that not everyone likes to see record spines on display.

There are quite a few solutions to your problem but a lot will depend on how much you want to spend and now many records you have+intend to buy.

The cedar chest solution posted above is indeed pretty good and one I never thought of. But that's likely due to owning over 1000 records and hence it's not a solution for me. With 60 records and no plans to buy grown your collection exponentially the cedar chest may work assuming there's a high WAF.

But for larger collections the Atocha designs are really nice. They may not match everyone decor but you could get something built locally by a carpenter that looks different but does the same job: https://www.atochadesign.com/pages/new-custom-design

I bet they'd even customise it for you looks wise. They are not cheap but they do have configurations that are smaller e.g. 4 drawers.

A local carpenter (who built my open rack) was hired by a gentleman who had a dog with a peculiar curiosity towards his records. So he built him this wall unit. (click on lower left picture with lps) http://www.woodtoronto.com/index.php?page=1

If I had the space I'd actually move towards a covered storage system as well, perhaps like the Atocha design. I don't mind records being on display but I prefer a cleaner look at this point in my life especially since my living area is also my listening area.
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

My collection has now grown to over 100 titles, so it would appear you are right and a cedar hope chest would not be a solution. I have a built in bookshelf in the listening room that I will probably have a local craftsman reconfigure for me. The Atocha designs look great, but I would think I could do something locally and support a local artisan while still getting a terrific solution. I would rather not look at the spines of records although my wife has been more understanding than most, I suspect.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature