View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhilio View Post
Hello All, this is my very first post! My dealer had Liutos in the front listening room for about 8 months, so I listened to them for quite a few hours. At the time I owned the Grand Piano Domus, so I was very interested in the differences given the substantial price increase from the GP Domus. My observation was the Liuto definately had more bass/midbass definition than the GP Domus, and definately went deeper. The GP Domus tend to get a little muddy/congested in the bass when a lot is happening. I think midrange wise they sounded very similar; and on top I really think they are similar (maybe a slight edge to the Liutos). Since then I purchased a pair of Cremona M from my dealer and sold the GPs off. They are clearly (pun intended) better in every aspect, as they should be. My personal opinion is that the Liuto is aptly priced based on its perfomance between the previous GP Domus and the Cremona M. Although I think the GP Domus was a prettier speaker than the Liuto.

Phil
Congrats on the Cremona M.

Hmm, prefer the GP to the Liuto visually? Have you seen/heard the Liuto Wood in North American Cherry, Walnut or Smoked Oak? Liuto Wood is a different enclosure - 3/4" full height staves of solid wood laid up as the side panel vs mdf - adds leather covering on the bottom, the spine, and the swept top panel, and now has the outrigger front spikes. Now has much more in common visually with a Cremona than any other Sonus, imo.

It would be politically incorrect for me to suggest that the Liuto Wood's changes are a significant sonic step forward - but Sonus' natural wood enclosures have historically well outperformed their mdf counterparts. Just sayin'.