View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 12:28 AM

Thanks. It seems that everything these days is built to be disposable. They last a year or two and that's it. My last laptop lasted me 6 years almost. This one barely lasted a year or so. It's crazy. I just hope I can dig into that hard drive and get the info off of it.

You know, the way you and W4S keeps going on about KEF speakers, I'm going to end up with a pair of white LS50's one day. The only KEF's I've ever heard were a repaired pair of 104/2's. That was nearly 20 years ago, but I remember that I was rather impressed with them.

Speaking of DAC's, I'm shocked at what the built-in DAC is capable of in the Halo. Even though everything in the system has changed, I think it sounds better than the Schiit Bifrost I had, and it was fully upgraded. I also think it sounds every bit as good if not better than the DAC in the Oppo 105D, which is supposed to be a top rated DAC.

The high gain on the Job amp would drive me crazy. That was kind of the same problem I had with the Musical Fidelity preamp I had for a while. About 3 little blips on the remote and the volume was fairly loud. Any louder and I would have been pissing off neighbors. Then again, those laser beam LED's on that preamp were annoying as well. The other issue of course is that a lot of volume potentiometers are not very balanced in their output at those low settings, which was one of the annoyances with the MF preamp as well. Where the setting was getting a bit too loud was also where both channels finally balanced out. It's a shame because I quite liked that preamp. Oh well. I'm much happier with the Halo, which I should have went with from the very beginning.

Yes, I'm sure I'd be impressed with the new amps, but what to do with all of that extra power?! LOL I think W4S is on their 2nd or 3rd revision of the input buffer boards in the new amps, and those boards are what give these amps that overall smooth sound to begin with. I'm sure there's plenty of great improvements on those new boards as well as the umpteenth revision on those B&O boards.