View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM

LOL, I never thought I'd want or need the headphone amp either. I decided to listen on the weekend mornings (so I can let my wife sleep in). I bought a pair of ZMF Ori's and ordered a custom pair of Audio Art cables headphone cables. Rob worked with me so I could get all Furetech connectors and do the Pono balanced connection. HOLY COW.

I have heard these headphones (to me better than the Audeze LCD 4 or the Focal Utopia or Hifiman TOTL) on the regular headphone amp I have, which is nice as well as with the 1/4" Ayre connection. What I wasn't ready for was the balanced connection difference. I can't believe how great my headphones sound right now. SHOCKED to be honest. I'm not a headphone guy for hte most part. To me, I have a nice pair of Noble Savant's for travel and late night listening or TV even. they are perfect to take on the go, but not for critical listening. I am now thinking that I may get a better DAC for the phone (using Audioquest Red), like a Mojo or possibly a balanced output DAP.

I do understand that some don't use the Headphone amp, but the way the case is made, I can't see them just having dummy female plugs on the front. JMHO. who knows though.